Have you ever picked your own flowers from the field? I love summer blooms and I am pretty lucky to live close to a few flower fields where you can pick your own flowers. Located in the country area of Woodstock, Dented Gate Flower Farm has been on my list of U-pick flower spots and finally visited on a beautiful summer day. Read on to read all about our U-Pick experience.
RELATED: Looking for more things to do before the summer ends? Check out this list of more than 100 things to do in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago.
OUR EXPERIENCE AT Dented Gate Flower Farm
Getting Started at Dented Gate
We passed a few farms and easily found Dented Gate with the GPS. Kishwaukee Road is a bit fast so make sure to slow down so you don’t miss it. After turning onto the gravel driveway, we made a quick right turn to the parking lot on the grass. My kids and I checked in by the cute red shed and was given a bucket with water and shears.
Pro tip: Totally loved that there wasn’t an admission fee!
SO MANY DIFFERENT VARIETIES
The kids and I strolled up and down the aisles to try to find our favorite blooms. It was hard to choose from so many! The kids had fun picking their favorites, but it proved to be a hard task since everything was so beautiful.
After we found a few blooms, we proceed to check out in the red shed.We paid with cash (they accept credit cards), and they kindly wrapped up our blooms in water and tied it with kraft paper and rope. So cute!
Tips to Enjoy Dented Gate Flower Farm
- The farm is small so going through and picking our favorite blooms didn’t take very long. We took our time going through the aisles while taking photos. Our visit took about 30 minutes.
- Use the bathroom beforehand. I didn’t see a washroom.
- Hours vary but I’ve noticed they are usually open Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Make sure to check Facebook before going!
- Blooms vary depending on season. Again, check Facebook or Instagram before going!
- Bring a mason jar or a vase to hold the flowers in the car.
- Couple this with a trip to Downtown Woodstock (LOVE!). Emrickson Park is a few minutes down Kishwaukee Rd. Playground, walking trail, tennis and basketball courts, and even a water park. Fun!
FINAL THOUGHTS of Dented Gate Flower Farm:
We loved our low key experience at Dented Gate! Would highly recommend if you are in the area.
Address: 16710 Kishwaukee Valley Rd., Woodstock, IL
Hours: Check Facebook or Instagram
Admisson: No admission fee; pay $1 a bloom
Parking: Free parking on grass