If you haven’t guessed, one of my favorite things to do is have tea. What can I say, I love channeling my inner Downton Abbey! When I heard they had opened a tea room in Tinley Park, I just knew I had to go. Read on to find out what we thought, then learn a little bit more about the owner of Pekoe & Bean, Audrey.
READ MORE: Best Tea Restaurants for Kids
Highlights of Pekoe & Bean:
- The ambiance. Wow! After stepping foot in the shop, we were immediately drawn to the decor and atmosphere. You would not believe that this awesome tea room was in a strip mall. If you peruse even further, you’ll find more rooms tastefully redecorated with different kinds of furniture, seating, and decor.
- The details. I loved looking around and looking at all the details. Different teapots, teacups, saucers – all one of a kind. This China cabinet holding all sorts of tea cups, saucers, plates, and tiered trays is my fav. (I happen to be a bit obsessed myself!) The walls are beautifully painted as well. Can you believe that the owner Audrey did it herself? Amazing!
- Instagram wall. Perfect for selfies or the most adorable photos of your kids.
- Oh, the food! On our visit we enjoyed the Afternoon Tea ($29). Unlike most tea places that charge per person, we could all share here. And boy, did we enjoy it! Three tiers of yummy goodness including sandwiches, scones, and baked goods. Everything was pretty tasty. The homemade scones along with the clotted cream was my absolutely favorite. Not hard like most scones we’ve had.
- Excellent tea. They use Rishi Tea and it was all very good. Since Afternoon Tea came with unlimited refills, you better believe that we kept pouring pot after pot of their Chai tea.
- Coffee. Not only do they have coffee but they also have a cool coffee bar with Chicago roaster Half Wit Coffee. While we didn’t have coffee, I now know where to go for coffee. The concoctions looks SO good! (The marshmallow cappuccino is calling my name!)
- Hot chocolate for kids. Kids are also able to order their own tier. Our daughter didn’t have much of an appetite so we just shared our tier. Her only request? Hot chocolate, of course!
- Supports local arts. As an artist herself, Audrey prides on showcasing local artists’ work. Check out the cool artwork for sale.
Get to know Audrey from Pekoe & Bean:
Q: What were the reasons for opening a tea shop in Tinley Park?
I am in love with hot beverages and the idea of afternoon tea. The southwest suburbs was lacking in both so I decided on opening my tea room on historic Oak Park Ave in Tinley pPark. I myself frequent Tinley Park to shop local and thought, what better place for a tea room and coffee bar?
Q: Do you have a favorite tea? Or coffee?
I am a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to tea and coffee. I like English breakfast tea and a nice medium to dark roast coffee. I actually carry my favorite brands: Rishi for tea and Halfwit for coffee. Halfwit is locally roasted here in Chicago and has a great crew of people that have taught my team and myself tons about coffee and the coffee process.
Q: Any plans to have any special events? (Mommy and Daughter tea, etc.)?
We are constantly hosting special events. We have two adorable private rooms seasonally decorated to accommodate events just like mommy/daughter tea, birthday parties, showers, etc. Patrons have the opportunity to rent them for up to 3 hours… we even offer games, favors and other extras! We would eventually like to host our own organized parties as well… things that involve our local community. For Valentines Day we will be doing specialty drinks, heart shaped sandwiches, great desserts AND there will be a bit of a surprise with the drinks (names and donations, etc)
Q: Anything else you’d like to share?
We love being a part of a community like Tinley Park. Our patrons are amazing and the whole team here at Pekoe has loved getting to know them! We know we are a new business, but we want to make a big statement on the Southwest suburbs of Chicago and eventually be a destination for anyone traveling through the area!
Location: 17028 Oak Park Ave, Tinley Park, IL 60477
Parking: Strip mall parking
What to expect: Having tea or coffee in a nice atmosphere