I’ve had blueberry picking on my bucket list for ages and we finally made it this summer! If you didn’t know, blueberries are a big deal in the Mitten State, and South Haven happens to be the “Blueberry Capital of the World.” With that in mind, we just had to get our hands on the sweet fruit. DeGrandchamp Farms was our sweet stop of the day, and what a great time we had!
Related: Read about our other fun strawberry picking experience.
Blueberry Picking at DeGrandchamp Farms:
Our GPS guided us to the Market, but found out that blueberry picking was just down the road. So we packed up the kids again in the truck then headed down the street to the U-Pick area. After parking on the grassy fields, we proceeded towards the white trailer where we we given our white baskets.
Armed with our baskets, we were ready to start picking! Luckily, we just needed to walk a few feet to find blueberry bushes after blueberry bushes – many tall and some short. While venturing through we passed green berries then red berries then finally plump blueberries.
According to the kids, it was really easy to pick the blueberries off by gently tugging it. Everyone did a great job picking blueberries!
One thing I did notice is that my daughter is one serious blueberry picker examining every single berry to make sure it was blue enough and not too soft. In the end, I do have to say that she became the blueberry expert.
After about 30 minutes, the kids each had a good amount of blueberries in their buckets.
Tips to enjoy DeGrandChamp Farms:
- Credit is accepted with a $10 minimum purchase. Have cash handy!
- Stop by the U-Pick first then head to the market for some goodies.
- One white bucket can hold about 6 pounds of blueberries.
- If you’re here the second week of August, enjoy the National Blueberry Festival. For four fun days, you’ll find a parade, entertainment, and all things blueberry. DeGrandchamp Farms provides some of the blueberries for the festival.
- Need a place to stay around the area? We absolutely LOVED staying at KOA Covert/South Haven. Just minutes away from the farm, the beach, and downtown South Haven, we never wanted to leave!
Looking for more blueberry fests? You won’t want to miss this Blueberry Festival in Indiana!
We had a wonderful time picking and the blueberries are absolutely delicious! If you’re here during blueberry season, a stop at DeGrandChamp Farms is a MUST!
When: Blueberry picking happens in mid-August. Always call to confirm picking.
Address: 76241 14th Avenue, South Haven, Michigan 49090
Admission: No cost to enter. Pay for what you pick.