You all know I absolutely LOVE sunflowers, and I’ve been itching to visit a sunflower farm this season. This past spring, we had such a great time at the Tulip Festival at Richardson Farm and couldn’t wait for their sunflowers to bloom. Well, it’s finally ready! And I have to say it’s absolutely beautiful! I highly recommend a visit before the season ends. Here’s what you need to know about the sunflower festival at Richardson Farm.
RELATED: Looking for more things to do before the summer ends? Check out this list of more than 100 things to do in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago.
Our experience at Richardson Farm Sunflower Festival
Love the aerial design! The kids happily led us through the 13 acre maze. With plenty of twists and turns, it kept the kids entertained and it was fun. It’s really hard to get lost — just look out for the red barn!
So many different varieties
They have over 25 varieties of sunflowers! Who knew there were so many? We found the colorful varieties closer to the beginning of the maze, and the typical sunflowers were located towards the northeast corner.
Plenty of photo ops
It’s seriously so beautiful out there. We admired the sunflowers up close, even saw bees doing their work. If you’re looking for photo props, they have those too!
Pick your own sunflower
Included with admission is a sunflower to take home. Make sure to bring your own shears. The kids had a great time choosing the perfect one – a tough job indeed!
Back at the gift shop, you’ll find all sorts of goodies. Take home some of their amazing donuts, homemade chocolate, popcorn, wine, and so much more! They even have wine tasting!
Fun at the farm
The sunflowers, of course, are the highlight but during the festival you’ll find carousel rides, lawn games, and food trucks on the weekend.
Tips to Enjoy Richardson Farm’s Sunflower Festival:
- Bees. Lots of bees. Don’t bother them and they won’t bother you.
- So many sunflowers! Thirteen acres of sunflowers with 3.2 miles of trails. And the maze has a really cool design!
- Carousel rides are included with admission!
- Make sure to stop by their gift shop for more goodies like handmade chocolates, popcorn and even wine tasting!
- For more fun, come during fall where they have awesome fall festivities.
- Getting hungry? Just minutes away in Spring Grove is Squeez Juice Bar. Not only do they have amazing smoothies and smoothie bowls, but they have sushi! With other locations in Lincoln Park and Kenosha, finding this was such a find!
- Indoor restrooms are found in the gift shop.
The sunflowers are so beautiful! Make sure to visit before the season ends!
Address:909 English Prairie Rd, Spring Grove, IL
Hours: Fields will be open from August 25 – August 29 from 10 am – 7 pm
Admisson: $10/person. 3 and under are free! Credit cards accepted.
Parking: Free with parking on grass