I am so excited to welcome Hippo Campus as one of our summer sponsors!
We visited Hippo Campus in Volo a few months ago and as you can remember, the kids loved it! One of the things we missed out on because of the weather was their outdoor play area, The Imagination Garden. When I heard that Hippo Campus also offered fun sensory classes, I just knew a re-visit would be in order. So glad we did! It was a perfect way to spend a summer day. Plus, read on for a discount on classes and admission!
Imagination Garden Highlights:
- Run! While the indoors has enough stimulating activities, sometimes kids just need space to run around. They have plenty of room to do so in the Imagination Garden.
- Slide and climb their hearts out.
- Dinosaurs. My little dino-lovers were drawn to the little dino dig area.
- Making music is always fun.
- Pretend. Kids can use their imagination with cozy coupes, play houses, and a tent.
- Grab a bite. Picnic tables are available here so could be another area to have your snack.
All three kids were enrolled in the mess-free sensory class. Highly recommend!
- The owner, Maureen or Mo, was a great instructor! She was patient and worked so well with the kids. At one point, my little one had a little boo boo and she was as gentle as can be with him.
- Fun activities. From the start of class, the kids were engaged with all the activities planned like putting shapes on the sticky paper…
or trying to guess the object in the mystery box using only touch.
- Incorporate the senses. They made a cool lava lamp (sight) and had a chance to see it glow-in-the-dark under blacklight.
They were into making their own noisemaker (sound) which the kids loved decorating.
Creating their own sensory bags was a blast. (And not messy!)
- All ages. Our specific class was for all ages which was great so everyone in the family could participate. There are other classes for all ages or one for kids ages 2 – 6.
- Take-home creations. The kids were so happy to bring home their creations. They were very proud of them!
Check out these upcoming classes. Plus, my dear readers, you can score a discount: Save $3 per class and add all-day play for only $5. Just mention that you are an O the Places We Go Reader.
Classes for Kids (Ages 2-6)
What: Make a Mess with Mo!
The fun: Sensory play can be messy play: shaving cream, paint, goop, and more! The kids make the mess, we clean it up. Be sure to dress kids in play clothes! Hippo Members save 10%.
Cost: $12 each or all three for $30. Add all-day play for only $7 more per session. Siblings can play under your supervision during the hour for only $8 or $10 for all day.
When: Thursday Session: July 13, 20, 27; 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Workshops for Kids & Their Grownups (All Ages)
What: Water Beads – Beyond Sensory Bins! All ages welcome.
The fun: Kids love water beads, and you can use them for fun projects! Join us for this hour-long workshop where we show you how to use water beads in fun activities and games. In addition, you’ll make stress balls and nightlights. Take home 2 finished projects! We will provide all the materials you’ll need. Register by July 8.
Cost: One adult & one child: $20. Additional siblings $5 each. Add all day play for an additional $6 per child. Hippo Members save 10%.
When: Monday, July 10; 10 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
What: Mess-Free Sensory Play! All ages welcome.
The fun: Sensory play can be messy, but there are great ways to engage your children in play that is fun without a big clean up. In addition to fun sensory play, we will make sensory tubes, a musical instrument, and sensory bags. You will take home 3 finished projects! We will provide all the materials you’ll need. Register by July 15.
Cost: One adult & one child: $20. Additional siblings $5 each. Add all day play for only an additional $6 per child.
Hippo Members save 10%
When: Monday, July 17; 10 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Registration is required for each of these programs. Please call 847-201-1120 or email at [email protected] to secure your spot. Remember if you mention you are a reader you get a discount: Save $3 per class and add all-day play for only $5.
If you’re looking for something to do on a summer day, I highly recommend trying a sensory class with the kids. Afterwards (or before), they can enjoy Hippo Campus’ Imagination Garden and the rest of the fun activities offered at the center. Read above on how to save on a class and/or admission! A fun day well spent in Volo.
Location: 401 E. Route 60, Volo, Illinois
Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.; Friday, Saturday, Sunday 12 p.m. – 4 p.m. On the first Fridays of the month, they are open until 7 p.m. with a different theme.
Ticket prices: $12 child all-day pass, $10 child 60 -minute pass; $6 under 6 months. Adults are free. They will start offering membership programs and punch cards starting at $48. They will also offer fun summer camps including STEAM activities, sensory art, song and story times, obstacles and races.
Parking: Plenty of parking at the lot
Stroller-friendly? It may get a little crowded with the stroller at some areas.
Food: They sell pre-packaged snacks, juice, apple sauce. You can also bring your own snack. You can eat in the snack room.
Crowded: We visited on a Monday afternoon for class. We arrived a few minutes before the 2 p.m. class time and it was empty. (They close at 2 p.m. on Mondays)
What to expect: A fun hour of learning during class time. A great area for kids to run around outside in the Imagination Garden.
Disclosure: Our family was provided a complimentary class and admission for review purposes. I was not required to express a particular point of view, and all opinions are my own.
Read about our first visit to Hippo Campus.