Looking for pumpkins without the added frills? Make a quick stop to Dave’s Pumpkins in Huntley. Think of it as simple farmstand with a few attractions to keep the kids busy. I took the kids during an e-learning break and found it was a great way to break up the day and pick pumpkins!
Highlights of Dave’s Pumpkins:
Located on Algonquin Road, it is tucked away on Algonquin Road. Pay attention or you might miss it. Parking is on the grass to the left as you enter.
Pumpkins are already pre-picked and waiting for you. Grab any of the wagons and just go ahead and grab your favorite one. There are a variety of pumpkins and gourds including my personal favorite, the white ones. All large pumpkins are just $8.
Warning: It may be muddy. Like super muddy. Comes with the territory. Just come prepared.
The honor system
When you’re ready to leave, you pay for your pumpkins in the self-service box. Cash or check is accepted. You can also scan a QR code to pay by credit card.
Get those cameras out because they have a few photo opportunities.
Free activities at Dave’s Pumpkins
There are a few activities to keep the kids happy. I would say it mostly geared for the younger set. But hey, it’s totally free!
You definitely won’t get lost in this broom maze. The maze is really small and we got through it in about 10 seconds.
The pedal tractors may have been the kids’ favorite activity. Although they only had a small area to ride around, they had a blast!
The kids had a blast playing on this truck. Hey, it’s the simple things, right?
Tips to enjoy Dave’s Pumpkins
- Hay rides are offered Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. It is $3.
- There is a new U-Pick pumpkin location a few miles down on the corner of Route 47 and Algonquin Road in Huntley.
- They also offer apple cider donuts but on certain days. They say theirs are better than Tom’s Farms (down the street) so I need to see if that’s true!
While you’re in the area:
- Check out Deicke Park with its wonderful playground for littles.
- Get gelato at Manny’s Cafe or chocolates at Morkes Chocolate both in downtown Huntley.
- Get yummy Asian food (pho or bahn mi, anyone?) at Roll n Donuts Cafe (down the street on Algonquin).
- Have a sweet tooth? You can’t go wrong with any of the baked good at Blessed Little Kitchen in Huntley.
Final thoughts about Dave’s Pumpkins
If you’re looking to grab and go and squeeze in an activity with the kids, this is perfect! What a great way to support a small business and get pumpkins for the season!
Location: 9112 Algonquin Road, Huntley, Illinois 60142
Cost: No admission fee and no parking fee.
Food: You can buy apple cider donuts on the weekend.
Crowded: We visited on a weekday during lunchtime and we basically had the whole place to ourselves.
Looking for more fall farm? Check out this handy list.