Do you love strawberry picking? If you’ve never gone, I can’t recommend it enough – it’s one of our family’s favorite things to do in the summer. Here are a few of our favorite places near Chicagoland where you can go strawberry picking in 2021.
Looking for more things to do this summer? Here is the ultimate summer bucket list!
3709 Miller Road, McHenry, IL
Why families will love it: There are acres and acres of strawberries perfect for social distancing from others. When you’re done, don’t forget to grab strawberry donuts as well strawberry slushies!
Good to know:
- This sprawling farm located in McHenry County offers 17 acres of strawberries ripe for the picking!
- U-Pick is now open! Pick-Your-Own will be available 8:30 am – 5 pm during their strawberry season.
- Pricing varies based on the size of the basket: $6 for a 1-quart basket, $12 for a 2-quart basket, $18 for a 4-quart basket. Just remember there is a $6 minimum purchase per person required to enter the strawberry patch. Two and under no minimum needed.
- Stade’s bakery and shop includes pies and jams.
- Strawberries will be available for picking for about 3 weeks but be sure to confirm for updates.
- Check the farm’s Facebook page before you go for updates and the latest offerings.
- New in 2021 and starting June 10, a Little Red Shed that serves BBQ!
READ MORE: Strawberry Picking at Stade’s Farm
19502 River Rd, Marengo, Illinois
Why families will love it: A simple low key experience. They have adorable radio flyer wagons to use to transport the strawberries. If available, you don’t want to miss picking their sugar snap peas. So yummy!
Good to know:
- Strawberry picking open! Check Facebook page for updates.
- Picking hours are 8 – 5 p.m.
- During strawberry picking season the market hours will be 10 am – 6 pm. The strawberry field will close at 5pm.
- Pricing for u-pick is $4/quart or $16 for 4 quart bucket.
- Several fruits and vegetables are available for purchase at the farm stand.
READ MORE: Strawberry picking at Cody’s Farm
10214 Algonquin Road, Huntley
Why families will love it: Take a wagon ride or walk to to the field. When you’re done picking, you can enjoy all things strawberry such as their delicious baked goods from their bakery, homemade strawberry pies, poundcakes, shortcakes, shakes, spreads and strawberry donuts!
Good to know:
- Tom’s is a family-owned farm that has been open for more than 40 years!
- Strawberry picking opens June 11th! Pre-picked is available. Check Facebook page for updates.
- U-Pick open 8:30 – 2 p.m.
- Always call first to check availability: 847-669-3421
- Strawberries are $2.89/lb
- Last year, we were assigned a row to pick our strawberries and masks and social distancing are required inside the market and greenhouse. (Stay tuned for updates.)
- Takeout and curbside pickup is available for lunch at Cheryl’s Café. The menu offers everything from yummy coffee drinks from their espresso bar to breakfast fare, paninis and more!
- Looking for items other than strawberries? The farm market has fruits & vegetables available as well as a garden center.
Read more: Strawberry picking fun at Tom’s Farm
OTHER STRAWBERRY FARMS TO CHECK OUT:
- Located just over the border in Wisconsin’s Kenosha County, the farm has been growing strawberries for over 70 years.
- They will have two strawberry fields with one location open per day.
- Monday-Friday 8:00 am-6:00 pm, Saturday-Sunday 8:00 am-4:00 pm.
- Entrance fee; pick your own is $16/quart
- Check back later when they will have a sunflower field! Over 4 million!
- Cash only.
Garwood Orchard, 5911 W. 50 South, LaPorte, Indiana
- Strawberry picking is now open, but check their website for updates.
- Open 9am-5:30pm daily.
- Wagon rides are available.
- Also available when in season: blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, tomatoes, peppers, green beans, apples, pumpkins, and more.
- Pricing: $20 for 4 quarts or $35 for 8 quarts.
- This is also one of our favorite spots for apple picking!
Johnson’s Farm Produce, 8960 E. Ridge Road, Hobart, Indiana
- Strawberry picking open June 12, but check their website for updates.
- Open 8am-7pm Monday-Saturday, 8am-6pm Sunday.
- Also available when in season: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries.
- Entrance fee includes lots of activities like jump pad, train rides, obstacle course, and more.