Gail Borden Public Library is definitely one of our favorite libraries in the Northwest suburbs. Not only do they have a great play area, but they are always bringing new and exciting museum-type exhibits to the area. Their newest exhibit, “Take Flight” is no exception.
- Museum-type exhibit. It’s an actual museum exhibit from ScienceWorks Hands-On Museum in Ashland, Oregon.
- History. Follow the timeline and learn a little bit about the history of flight. Don’t forget to check out a model of one of the earliest functional plane designs by the Wright brothers.
- Hands-on activities. With the exhibit comes a variety of activities to keep the kids engaged including making helicopters and airplanes, then watching it fly!
- A fun green screen. Take a pic in front of the green screen, email or text it, and it returns back to you with a pic!
- Fun programs. Check their website for STEAM programs focusing on parts of the exhibit or a program with paper airlines.
- FREE! No admission cost. Can’t get much better than that!
Another fun exhibit by the Gail Borden Area Library, and a great way to spend an hour or so learning about flight.
Where: Gail Borden Public Library, 270 N. Grove Ave, Elgin, IL
When: Now until March 14
Hours: Monday – Thursday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Sunday noon – 5 p.m.
Parking: Plenty of parking at the lot
Stroller-friendly? Plenty of room to roam about with a stroller.
Food: Small cafe located on-site.
Crowded: We visited on a Tuesday evening and it was not crowded at all.
While You’re Here:
- Don’t miss out exploring downtown Elgin (down the street)
- Grab hot dogs and authentic Hawaiian shaved ice down at Legit Ice & Dogs. You can also play video games. Read about our visit here.