Have you heard about the newest adventure park to hit Chicagoland? Funtopia, the indoor adventure park, is now open in Naperville. We’ve heard great things about the one in Glenview, and when we had the opportunity to visit their newest location we jumped at the chance. Oh, and what a fun time we had! We climbed fun themed walls, other apparatuses, and even tried the ninja course.
How it works:
- When you first visit the facility, you’ll need to fill out an electronic waiver. You can also fill it out online.
- Choose from 30 minutes, 1 hour, 1.5 hours or 2 hours long sessions. Again, want to save time? You can do this online as well.
- After you’re all set, the staff is there to help get your ready to climb with a harness. Then they’ll take you to a wall and show you how to clip and unclip the harness. Don’t worry if you can’t figure it out at first; they are able to help if needed.
- Workers around if you need help. Staff is available in almost every area to help latch and unlatch you to your harness. Quite honestly after a few tries, you get the hang of it. Even my 8 and 6-year-old were pros by the time we were done.
- Different areas for different skills. If you’ve never climbed a wall (me, me, me!), visitors are able to start out in the area made for beginners – tires, rope ladder, spider net, and easier to climb walls await. Heather, the General Manager, suggests trying out the dino wall as its one of the easiest courses out there. The hardest part though is just learning to let go once you’re at the top. Once you’ve overcome that initial hurdle its all fun.
You can get started with a mini rock climbing wall without being clipped.
- Super fun walls with different themes. Once you’ve gotten used to climbing (and going down), tons of other options await.
Some of them aren’t even walls! Want to be like Spider-Man and climb atop the buildings or climb a bean stalk?
Or challenge yourself to lighted walls.
And, of course, they have traditional rock climbing walls.
Each wall/attraction has a sign indicating the skill level, difficulty, and more.
- Ninja. Channel your inner ninja warrior and try their Ninja Warrior Course which increases in difficulty as you progress.They are currently the only Funtopia with a ninja course. And yes, it is harder than it looks.
- The whole family can participate. As long as everyone is at least 35 pounds, they can participate. Finally, I’m no longer just a bystander and could join in on the action. In fact, this was my first time climbing, and I had a blast!
- Toddlers can have fun too. Too young to participate? They have their own room for those 4 and under.
Good to know:
- Wear comfortable, closed toes shoes.
- In order to climb, you’ll have to be at least 35 pounds. You’ll need to be at least 50″ to do the ninja course and ropes course.
- Have toddlers 4 and under? Just want to play in the toddler room? It is $10.
- Unlike the Glenview location, the Naperville location does not have a jungle gym, caving system or free fall.
What a fun time! We all had a great time and would definitely come back.
Location: 2639 Aurora Ave, Naperville, IL 60540
Hours: Check website for schedule.
Cost: Prices start at $9 for 30 minutes up to $24 for 2 hours.
Parking: Plenty of parking at the lot
Crowded: We visited on a Saturday around noon and it did progressively busier as the day went on.
What to expect: Climbing walls, ninja course, ropes course, giant drop slide
Disclosure: Our family was provided complimentary admission to Funtopia Naperville. I was not required to express a particular point of view and all opinions are my own.