Last weekend, we had a family Grinch day with a movie and ice skating at Westfield Old Orchard. While there we checked out the new CMX Market Cinemas Old Orchard to watch The Grinch (or the “Grunch” as my daughter calls it). I’ve heard great things about CMX Market Cinemas including how they are reinventing “dinner and a movie” to “dinner with a movie,” and better yet the whole family could enjoy. I couldn’t agree more!
Highlights of CMX Market Cinemas:
- Luxurious ambiance. When I stepped into the building, I did a double take to make sure we were in the right spot. It seemed as if we stepped into a hotel lobby instead of a movie theater. I absolutely fell in love with the awesome lights above as we stepped onto the escalator.
View this post on Instagram
Over the weekend, we checked watched The Grinch (super cute) at the luxury theater, @CMXCinemas at @westfieldoldorchard. Such a great experience – clean, small intimate theaters, great food choices made from scratch, and tastefully decorated. At first, I thought I stepped into a fancy hotel lobby! . . #otheplaceswego #discovermidwest #igersmidwest #midwestblogger #midwestfamilytravelers #chicagoblogger #explorechicago #igchicago #igerschicago #enjoyillinois #chicagojpg #chicagomom #windycitybloggers #enjoyillinois #cmxcinemas #cmxmarket #westfieldoldorchard
- Outstanding Dining. This is definitely NOT your typical movie food. It’s a grab-and-go gourmet food experience! There are plenty of choices to satisfy the pickiest of eaters including in-house pizza, burgers, shakes, made-to-order burgers, market fresh salads, and a popcorn lab. What really stands out is the food is made from scratch. How often do you find that at movie theaters?
The kids were excited to munch on pretzels and nachos. The kids were happy campers. My hubs said his corned beef sandwich was pretty darn good!
Oh. My. Goodness. The pizza was perfection. Just the right amount of cheese and crispy all the way. After one bite of the pizza, we were ready to order a whole pizza. It was that good! My husband and I are even craving it to this day. We also tried their handspun milkshakes. Definitely yummy but a tad too rich for my taste.
Don’t get me started on the popcorn. At the popcorn lab, you’ll find regular butter flavor but you’ll want to try their special Chicago-style popcorn with caramel and cheddar. Seriously, the best!
- Convenient. If you’re waiting for your order, they will give you a buzzer when the food is ready. So feel free to enjoy the previews in the comfy seats. If you have more food than you can carry, just ask for a basket. The kids thought that was the coolest thing.
- Want a drink? Grab a drink before your movie at the full-service bar offering signature cocktails for guests 21 and up.
- Comfortable seating (and eating). We were all comfortable in our reclining chairs. Since the theaters are smaller and intimate, any seat will be a good seat. Plus, having the handy tray connected to the seat was very convenient.
After watching The Grinch (highly recommend!), we continued the fun by ice skating.
- Ice skating fun! On the day we visited, they had a Who-ville themed ice rink with fun crafts and visits from Santa. We even had a chance to skate with the Jolly Old Man.
- Helping hand. A huge shout out to the workers there. After putting on their skates, one of the helpers took my son’s hand and helped him get acquainted on the ice. Unexpected and so helpful.
- Skating helpers. This is the second time the boys have ice skated, and they loved every second. This year my daughter was able to borrow shoes that fit here. She was so excited! The best part was having these super cute skating helpers to push. It definitely gave them enough confidence.
- Save money. Go on Tuesdays when all tickets are only $5.
- Free refills on butter popcorn.
- CMX Market Cinema is located closer to Barnes and Nobles.
- Want a date night? Head to the other CMX Theatre, CMX VIP, for those 21-and-over with gourmet made-from-scratch food brought to your seat. I’m talking about lambchop lollipops and filet mignon.
- Consider CMX Market Cinema for a birthday party. On our visit, one group was enjoying a birthday party. At CMX, they help the host to plan the party and can customize it any way you wish including customizing the menu to include desserts, candy, or cake. While there is no private room if the party is big enough, they can have the auditorium completely private. Since there is a lot of space between the first row and screen, you can even have a buffet set up and enjoy the auditorium. Such a neat idea!
If you love watching movies, then this is a real movie treat for you. CMX Market Cinema is perfect for families with its comfortable luxurious seating and delicious gourmet food.
Location: CMX Market Cinemas Old Orchard (4999 Old Orchard Rd, Skokie, IL 60077 – across from Barnes and Noble); Ice Skating is located by Bloomingdales.
Prices: Child: $9.50, Senior: $9.50, Students/Military: $10.50 weekend/$9.50 weekday, Adult: $13.50 weekend evening/$10.50 matinee, Adult: $12.00 weekday evening/$8.50 matinee,TerrificTuesdays -$5.00 movie tickets all day, Student Thursdays-$6.00 student tickets all day (valid with Student ID)
Parking: Plenty of mall parking. Park close to Barnes & Nobles.
Disclosure: Our family was provided complimentary tickets to facilitate this review. I was not required to express a particular point of view, and all opinions are my own