Hands down my favorite dessert or sweet treat is ice cream. And nothing screams summer than ice cream! In fact, I am always on the search for a new favorite ice cream shop especially when they make their own ice cream! The Milk House Ice Cream in Pingree Grove not only makes their own ice cream, but it’s so delicious. This spot is definitely one of our favorites. Read on to find out why.
Why we love The Milk House Ice Cream:
Love the vibe
The ice cream shop is built on what was formerly a milk house (hence the name) on a farmstead that has been in the family since the 1800s. I loved that they restored the red barn which has extra seating in A/C or heat.
Watermelon cucumber ice cream? Lime sherbet? I love the unique and inventive flavors found here (over a dozen to choose from at one time). I also love that they use seasonal produce sourced locally. On our visit we tried the orange sherbert, toasted coconut macaroon, and butter pecan. In the past, we’ve also tried Vietnamese Cinnamon which tasted similar to horchata (my fav!)
View this post on Instagram
Plenty of seating
Although closed at the time of our visit, there is an air-conditioned or heated barn. Outdoors you’ll find a cute patio area with picnic tables surrounding the barn. There’s even a cool ride from Santa’s Village. If you still need a spot to eat, head across the street to the small park.
A visit to The Milk House is well worth a visit for its homemade farm fresh ice cream made from locally sourced products.
Tips to enjoy The Milk House Ice Cream:
- They have rules in place to make you feel safe. Masks are required or you can place an order and they can bring it to you curbside. They also have markers to signify 6 feet distances.
- Looking for parking? Park on the side street.
- Follow their Facebook Page to learn all about the new flavors they have in the dipping cabinet.
- You can find their other location at Klein’s Farm and Garden Market. While you’re here, go to Goebbert’s Pumpkin Farm or Enjoy Pioneer Farm. See all the fun you can do in nearby Hampshire.
- Try their scratch made waffle cones are made fresh daily.
Location: 230 Reinking Rd, Pingree Grove, Illinois
Parking: Small gravel parking lot with limited space. Park on side street if needed.