Disclosure: Our family was given complimentary admission to the Three Oaks Recreation Area. I was not required to express a particular point of view and all opinions are my own.
We had the opportunity to visit Three Oaks Recreation Area, a former quarry turned lake in Crystal Lake, and absolutely enjoyed ourselves. From beaches to a park to picnic areas, this is a perfect diversion for families on a nice, summer day.
Location: 5517 Northwest Highway, Crystal Lake, Illinois
When: Open Monday – Saturday. Closed Sundays.
Hours: 5:30 a.m. to sunset
Parking: Parking is free if you are a resident and $5 for non-residents
Admission: Admission is free except the Lake House: Non-resident adults: $10, youth $6, kids 3 and under free. Check their website for more rates including matinee fees.
- Beach fun. There aren’t that too many places in the Northwest suburbs where we can enjoy the beach. A definite hidden gem!
- Safety first. Clearly marked signs signifying a change in depth plus attentive lifeguards along the beach.
- More fun for kids. Kids can stay cool in the splash pad or release any extra energy in the playground or even go on a paddle boat.
- Culvers restaurant on site. Perfect for days when you’d like to chill out and have ice cream.
- Interested in learning how to standup paddleboard or scuba diving? They offer lessons here!
We had such a great time at Three Oaks Recreation Area in Crystal Lake. Even though the weather may not have been in our favor, we are excited to make a repeat visit. We are lucky to have this hidden gem so close to us so we will definitely visit soon!