Downtown Woodstock is such a charming place with its cobblestone streets, historic buildings, and its boutiques, restaurants, and cafes. Woodstock also happens to be where the movie Groundhog Days with Bill Murray was filmed. On our last visit, we had a great time exploring and taking our own walking tour of downtown. (Read about it here.) Unfortunately, we didn’t get a chance to check out the other end of the square and missed out on visiting Ethereal Confections. But we finally made the visit back and loved it!
- So charming. Look how charming their building is? Although, they’ll be moved to the other end of the square in a much larger building by Fall 2018.
- Watching them in action. When you walk in you’re immediately greeted by the sweet smell of chocolates. Mmmmm. There are no walls so you’re able to watch the workers make chocolate magic.
- Try a chocolate (or two). This girl had the tough job of choosing just one piece.
- All about the chocolates. Ethereal Confections takes their chocolate seriously. They were the first small batch bean-to-bar chocolate producer in Illinois, which means they oversee every step of the chocolate-making process, from purchasing the fermented cacao beans to roasting, grinding and tempering. Check out the process here. They then use 100% of their own chocolate to make confections, chocolate desserts, chocolate chips for pastries, and chocolate drinks. You may also find their chocolates at restaurants, breweries, and distilleries.
- Cozy atmosphere. After walking past the chocolates, we then passed one of their cozy rooms ideal for catching up with friends or doing a little work.
- Everything is made from scratch. We love places that take pride in the food and drinks they serve. Ethereal is no exception. Just like their chocolate, their food and drinks are made from scratch. I’m talking about syrups, bread, pastries, and bitters — everything!!
- Good food. We were here for lunch and wanted a quick bite. We decided to try their avocado toast, turkey sandwich, tomato soup, and chili. The real surprise here was the avocado toast made with their homemade bread. If you aren’t a fan of avocados, you will be changed. Even my husband said it was, “Ridiculous!” (that’s a good thing) and we were fighting over it. The simple ingredients of avocado complimented with salt, pepper, and oil all on the thick, homemade bread was just what we needed.
Their chili, topped with espresso and chocolate, hit the spot on the cold winter day. The ultimate comfort food.
Let me tell you,their housemade crackers that came with the chili and tomato soup were SO. FREAKING. GOOD. Can I get a box of these, please? Pretty, please? This little one totally agreed. She may or may not have just ate the crackers.
- Drink up! Besides food and chocolate, they also serve drinks. What a fantastic selection! They had pour over chocolate, cocoa tea, drinking chocolate, and of course hot chocolate. Plus, they serve cocktails with chocolate in them, of course. My husband and I vowed to return on our next date night to try their cocktails like their signature cocktail called the “Smoking Gun” with house-made chocolate bitters in it. They even offer flights paired with chocolates. So cool!
- Desserts. They have a vegan triple chocolate cake that we’ll need to try next time. Another house favorite is a caramel macchiato cheesecake. Sounds divine!
- Check out their cool classes and events like an Alice and Wonderland “Mad Tea” Cocktail Class or a Bean to Bar chocolate class. So fun!
My husband and I totally want to come back to try a flight with chocolate, of course. Or try one of their classes. This time we’ll each get our own avocado toast.
Location: 113 South Benton Street, Woodstock, IL
Hours: Sunday to Thursday 7 AM – 10 PM, Friday and Saturday 7 AM – 12 AM
Parking: Parking on the side street or parking lot.