Last year we had a fun time blueberry picking and decided to make it an annual family tradition. We wanted to stay closer to the Chicagoland area and had heard wonderful things about Stateline Blueberries in Michigan City, Indiana. After spending a Saturday afternoon, I have to say we heartily agree!
Related: Love picking your own fruits? Read about our other fun strawberry picking experience.
Blueberry Picking at Stateline Blueberries:
Since it was 11 a.m. on Saturday morning, I figured the farm would be busy. Staff guided us to one of their parking lots which was right across the main parking lot. We did see a long line, but later found out it was the line to pay. We proceeded to the right hand side of the building to grab buckets in a couple different sizes.
On our visit we had the choice of picking sweet or tart blueberries so of course we chose sweet. The staff told us which row would be best, and then we were off with our buckets. And once we found a row, we basically had it to ourselves.
Plenty of blueberries were waiting to be picked. Not only were they plentiful, but they were tasty.
If the heat wasn’t so unbearable, we could have picked until our buckets were full. But we were more than happy to have picked 3 pounds of blueberries.
Tips to enjoy Stateline Blueberries:
- Credit is accepted with a $10 minimum purchase. Have cash handy!
- Head to the right side of the main building to pick up your buckets.
- Want to save 75 cents? Bring your own container or bag or you can purchase a box.
- Pack a picnic. They have picnic tables if you want to bring something eat, though it was pretty hard to come by.
- If you need to use the bathroom, they have port-a-potties.
While you’re here:
- Grab ice cream! Ice cream is the perfect treat after being in the sun (or anytime really.) A quick search brought us to Bubble’s Ice Cream Parlor in Michigan City. We found plenty of covered outdoor seating, and they even came out to take our orders. Looking for another convenient option? They have a drive thru! They serve Chocolate Shoppe so you know their ice cream is good!
- Go to the beach! Plenty of beaches to hit up if you have the time like New Buffalo Beach. Make a whole day of it by visiting Washington Park Zoo and Washington Park Beach.
For a fun, no frills blueberry picking experience, I highly recommend Stateline Berries.With plenty of space, this was the perfect way to social distance.
When: Blueberry picking starts in July and lasts until August. Always call to confirm picking.
Address: 9957 N. Frontage Rd., Michigan City, IN 46360
Admission: No cost to enter. Pay for what you pick. When we picked, it was $2/lb. Credit card accepted with $10 minimum purchase.