Highlights of Lords Park:
- Animals. The farm zoo may be small, but it’s perfect for younger kids. We only went to one barn where the kids saw pigs, cows, llama, and even a huge turkey, before hearing the dreaded words, “I have to go potty.” I believe there was another barn with other animals to check out.
We went on a day when they hosted an insect program. Be sure to check their schedule for different programs including storytime at the Zoo.
They also have a huge enclosure with elk, deer, and bison. We only saw one bison from our view in the Farm Zoo, but when we were driving around the park earlier we saw bison and deer roaming around the enclosure.
- Two playgrounds. We saw two different playgrounds close to the zoo entrance. I love that there was plenty of shade and picnic tables closeby.
- Museum fun. We visited the Elgin Public Museum to beat the heat. The museum showcases Elgin’s history as well as animals found around the Elgin area. The kids loved the Discovery Room with puzzles, coloring sheets, telescope, and even a cute puppet area.
Tips to enjoy Lords Park:
- Pack a lunch and have a picnic. There is so much space to explore. We liked using one of the many picnic tables located around the playgrounds.
- If you have more time, splash away at Lords Park Family Aquatic Center.
What a great way to spend a couple hours! Lords Park is definitely a hidden gem.
Location: 325 Hiawatha Dr, Elgin, IL 60120
Hours: Check website for zoo hours.
Cost: Admission to park and Farm Zoo is free. Small fee for museum entrance.
Parking: Plenty of parking at the lots.
Crowded: We visited on a Tuesday afternoon and it was not busy at all.
READ MORE: Read more about Elgin’s other hidden gems.